PDA

View Full Version : Bird Wing Butterfly

Don Lacy
12-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I am not sure about this one, I think it needs more wing blur to achieve more of a sense of motion and the abdomen is not as sharp as I would have liked.

Really interested if others think this image works or not

This was taken at Butterfly World which has to be one of the most challenging places to get a decent image which is kind of ironic considering you have about a thousand butterflies trapped in a enclosure filled with flowers.

40D, 300f/4, 1/125 at f/5.6, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered, Flash with Diffuser, Canvas added to the bottom, BG Color was even out with cloning and
cropped.

Julie Kenward
12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I know what you mean about Butterfly World. I have a local botanical garden that puts on the same kind of show and it's horrible to try to get a decent image with the hundreds of people and plants in the way. Still, when you get a keeper, it's really something!

Don, I don't personally like that half of the butterfly is stationary and half is in motion. I'm sure you caught him on the landing or take-off but it looks a bit unnatural to me to see half blurred and half not. I also think the BG would be better if that large dark spot wasn't right at the top of the butterfly's head.

Your composition is very nice - it fills the frame out nicely without feeling cramped anywhere. You have the face and head of the insect in focus but you're right that the body is a bit OOF. Next time I'd try to get your speed up to 1/250th if possible and see if you can't get the whole insect frozen. You can always blur in pp if you choose to do so.

Stu Bowie
12-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Fantastic colours captured in this Don. Im going with Julie on this one to try and freeze the action to show up more of the colours and detail. The head and body is nice and sharp, and cant think how great it would have been to see the same detail on the wings too.

Stuart Frohm
12-07-2008, 06:14 AM
The colors are gorgeous, and I agree with the other previously posted praise.
Yes, I think it "works."
You might also consider displaying this alongside a photo of this species with wings not in motion.
Thanks for posting this.
Stu in Michigan

Ed Vatza
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Its all pretty much been said above and I agree. I think the elements of composition are all here. But as you said, more wing blur might have helped. Or less.