PDA

View Full Version : Conowingo Update

Bill Jobes
12-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I made the trip to Conowingo today, and am happy to report that there were a good number of eagles to be seen.

There were more than a dozen on the transmission towers, and many more on the far side of the river in the rocky area.

Activity came and went in the usual unpredictable bursts. There was a period of extreme feeding activity between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., , followed by several hours of not much at all. I left in the early afternoon lull, so I don't know how the day closed out.

Good luck if you plan to go!

Earl West
12-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Bill, I've never made the trip over to the Dam. How is for photography. I shoot mostly with my 600mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8 and I can throw the 1.4TC on it and in combo with my D700 it reaches out there pretty good. I like getting close to my subject if at all possible, and I've heard in the past that it's usually long shots at the Dam. Anything other than eagles to shoot there?

Bill Jobes
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Earl,

You're equipped perfectly for Conowingo.

Yesterday there were a gazilion gulls of all varieties, a falcon or two and I was counting crows as well. The crows were interesting as they interacted with eagles in-flight.

Some of the shots are indeed long, but the eagles do fly directly overhead, and perch in nearby trees.

I'm confident in saying you'll be smiling on the drive home !

Earl West
12-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info, Bill. Very much appreciated!!! I'm going to try to make a trip there sometime this month.

Michael Lyncheski
12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Bill for the update. I am going to make my first trip there on Saturday from NJ.

Do you have any advice about exactly where to go to best see the Eagles in the best light?

Thanks!
Mike

Bill Jobes
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi Mike,

The best light on sunny mornings is at the entrance to the park.

But there may be more activity closer to the dam.

As the day goes on, light reaches up river.

Just look where the mob congregates, and you'll find some good opportunities.

You can't go wrong if the birds are there, as they seem to get to your location sooner or later.

-Bill

Michael Lyncheski
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks Bill. You have some great photos on your site. I especially like the fox series.

I will let you know how it goes this weekend.

Regards,
Mike

Bill Jobes
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks very much, Mike!

Josh O'Donnell
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi there, I've never been but I'd like to go see the eagles... I'm pretty limited with my lens options... Best I can do right now is a 300mm f2.8 w/ 1.7x TC on my D300... Will this be long enough for me to get some decent opportunities?

Bill Jobes
12-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Yes Josh, it certainly will ... there were many very close encounters today.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

Michael Lyncheski
12-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Conowingo was great yesterday. There were ~20 eagles in the towers plus more in the trees. There were around 50 photographers there in the morning. I stayed until around 3:00 when the light disappeared.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Josh O'Donnell
12-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes Josh, it certainly will ... there were many very close encounters today.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

Thanks Bill... How long do the eagles congregate there... Pretty much throughout the entire winter?

Bill Jobes
12-14-2008, 03:37 PM
While every year is different, they taper off in late December or January. But there always seems to be a few around in summer ... just not in the numbers we can see in October through January.

Dave Woeller
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I've posted a shot from Conowingo in the eager to learn forum. There were ~ 30-35 adults and immatures there on the day we visited. Not hard to get to from Jersey at all. We're 30 miles inland from Atlantuic City and it took an hour and a half to get there with 1 stop for coffee etc.