PDA

View Full Version : First stream with slow shutter speed.

Ian McHenry
12-05-2008, 01:48 AM
In the past I have always tended to prefer fast shutter speeds for images of moving water but decided to try something different yesterday.
This picture was taken with a new 18-200mm lens: F22 @ 1/10sec handheld @ 26mm focal length minus 0.5 EV.
400 ISO. shortly before mid-day.
Any suggestions for improvement, or reposts most welcome.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Robert Amoruso
12-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Ian,

I think you composed this really well. You have the falls running from top to bottom which can be problematic as it carries you off the image but the diagonal log is a strong compositional anchor which, for me, pulls the image together and balances it out. Plus it is is in the center of the frame and I think that works here.

It is a bit soft and could use more sharpening. In the lower right, if you have more room in the original, I would like to see more of the rock. If not, this is a minor thing but if it was about the same size of the dark portion in the upper left, they would balance each other well. Again, a minor observation.

Nice work.

Ian McHenry
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Robert
This is far lower right of original with a bit less of a crop.
Has auto color correction, a bit more contrast and more sharpening.

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I like this one better Ian. Getting the log up more in the frame and including more of the rock in the LR really balances it better. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Ian,
I've debated this one for a while.....I see a lot of glare on both the rocks and log......using a circular polarising filter.......would have easily eliminated this..........I would also recommend using a tripod with these slower shutter speed.........because while the image looks pretty sharp........my guess would be that the slow SS.......1/10th handheld............may have caused a bit of shake and taken away some of the critical sharpness. A polariser would have further lenghtened the exposure time....so a tripod would have been imperative. I may prefer the upper crop for composition.....even though I do like some of the pebbles......the larger birght rock.........draws my eye from the rest of the scene. The log does act as a center of interest....for my tastes it isn't the nicest though....and I may have removed it in the field.........to further emphasize the flow.......but that is a personal choice.
I like the fact that you are exploring the possibilities of the slower SS........and further working this scene.....may have yielded a nicer composition.........because the lushness of the ferns and grasses.......really comes through. In this case......a sturdy tripod is a must.....and the polariser is a close second.

Ian McHenry
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks Robert & Roman
I really need to remember to try the circ polariser for scenery images.
Also will try to remember to carry monopod even when main targets are birds and animals.
Image was taken in walk thro' wildlife reserve.