PDA

View Full Version : prairie vista

Mike Fuhr
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I took this picture last spring. I was trying to capture the vista and the stripe of coreopsis along each side of the small valley. I probably needed a graduated filter. :(

Nikon D50
18-55mm
18mm
F/10
1/250
ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
12-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Mike,

These types of images can be tough w/o a FG center of interest but I think this works for a few reasons. You have the tan colored leading line on a diagonal guiding us in the image. It leads to the trees in the middle ground and then to the large cloud mass above that. The flowers in the FG recede in the middle ground green grass, the tree line, horizon and the sky - nice us of layering. The large cloud mass brings it all together. I know you know this as you made the image but just want to say why I like it.

I though a contrast tweak on the clouds would help enhance the image and downloaded it and tried a curves adjustment (s-curve) and then masked out the land. SOme parts of the cloud are blown out so it did not look good. I suggested converting the image again to regain the detail in the blown areas and then use an s-curve on the sky.

Nice work.

Mike Fuhr
12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks Robert. I appreciate the comments. I'll see if I can make those adjustments and repost next week.

David Kennedy
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with Robert that this image is asking for more contrast. Also, I really wish that the center cloud wasn't touching the top of the frame.

Arthur Morris
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
All good comments above. I most strongly agree with David about the clipped cloud.

Mike Fuhr
12-10-2008, 01:05 AM
That cloud bugs me quite a bit too. Unfortunately, the original includes that problem. I was in a rush trying to entertain some friends while snapping a few shots at the same time. not a good combo!