PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker in Flight

Jim Neiger
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I made this image a couple of weeks ago.

Central Florida - 1D3, 500mm+2xTC, hand held, 1/1600, F8, ISO 800, manual exposure, Metered on green vegetation -1/3.

Gyorgy Szimuly
12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, such a cool flight shot of a large woodpecker.
I like it. Perfect compo.

Szimi

Fabs Forns
12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Very nice wing position and great light on the face.
I see some chromatic aberration around the tail and wings.

I love Pileated Woodpeckers and don't have one yet:(

Axel Hildebrandt
12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
I like the pose a lot and don't see CA.

Judd Patterson
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
A special image Jim! It sure isn't easy to get a clear chance at these awesome woodpeckers. Hope to have my own opportunity someday.

Maxis Gamez
12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Excellent capture Jim.

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Pretty damned good with a camera that supposedly does not focus...

later and love, artie

Alfred Forns
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
I want one !!!!! Excellent capture Jim !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Outstanding image of this awesome bird. They are like bullets in flight and you did an excellent job capturing this one wih wonderful eye contact too. Amazing Jim !! Sure wish it were mine.

Sid Garige
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Excellent shot Jim.

D. Robert Franz
12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Another beauty of a species I don't see flight images of often. Well done Jim...

Jody Melanson
01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
This rocks Jim!

I was out with David Hemmings last year and we were trying to lure some Bobolinks over. I catch something in the corner of my eye moving towards us in the perfect light. I swing my rig towards it, focus and see it is a Pileated. Sweet! I squeeze the trigger on my bushhawk and nothing. I repeatedly squeeze again and again, nothing. DANG! I missed my window of opportunity as he flies between us at eye level and I point my rig at the ground cursing, squeeze the trigger in frustration and it fires. It still gets to me from time to time. :D

Mike McCarthy
01-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Sweet flight shot Jim. Like the pose and angle of view on this one. Details of feathers and catch light in eye are nice. Well done. I want one of these. :-)

Jim Caldwell
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Jim,
Although the image is an amazing capture, I think it is even more amazing that you did it with a 500mm with a 2x extender - handheld! I would love more details about your capture and workflow on this image - really well done!

Dave Shaw
01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Great flight shot of this species, i love the gleam in the eye, but there does seem to be something a touch unnatural about the head. Like the colors, sharpness or contrast does not match the rest of the image. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but one way or another this is an impressive image. And I agree with another comment that I'd love to know some of the details, was this just a lucky shot? Or do you have a strategy?

Best,
Dave Shaw
Wild Imagination Photography and Tours
www.wildimagephoto.com

Ian McHenry
01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Nicely timed wings up capture Jim with a nice clean head shot.

Kenn Christensen
01-15-2008, 09:04 PM
wow.. Jim.. Ive been dreaming of this shot... I see these guys in flight everyday... they will show up flying over vast open areas.. but not close at all... and they have a slightly wavering flight thats tricky to stay on.... (though nothing like swallows!)... Im going to have to figure out just HOW to get a shot like this.. I wonder if they use consistant flyways? there are quite a few of them around here... and I see them where ever I go.. I think there are more of them then there are eagles around here!.... but the eagles are quite a bit more visible.. so I see more of them.... both fly over my house several times a day....
anyway... fantastic work...