tripod
24-105 f/4.0
iso 100
1/40 @ f/18
-1 exp

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Dennis,

Our technical difficulties seem to have deleted my post to your image. Sorry about that.

As I recall I noted I like the BG branches and snow on them and suggested that walking into the ice cold water would have given you another cool image. Yeah, like you want to do that. :)

I like the falling snow too. Let it snow!!!

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey Curly,
This is more busy than the previous post for my tastes.........as I struggle with the center of interest. The slushy pond does look like it had potential........and as Robert mentioned.....the falling snow does add to the appeal......but it does get lost in the rest of the BG of the scene.......that it does also lose it's impact. Looks like with the amount of snow you got.......you will have more time to further explore.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Dennis, I have two thoughts:

The two limbs in the FG that are bent and touching the water is where my eye naturally falls in this scene. If you had bent down and shot up with those two limbs being more prominent in the FG I think the composition would have looked more intimate and more dimensional.

My other thought is if you had stepped a few steps to your left you would have brought those two limbs out even more to the center of focus. I think compositionally they might have been strong enough to carry this sensory-strong image.

Nice b&w by the way. Did you know there is a b&w forum down in OOTB? Either place is totally appropriate for an image like this.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks everybody for your help as I was stuggling also finding a focal point and thought a little to busy but I guess you had to be there as the camera did not catch the effect. I was thinking of getting the waders out but the snow was up to my waist and climbing down that hill to a muddy pond was not happening
as I could see me sinking over my waders stuck in the mud.

We got another foot of snow last night so winter is here to stay.

Shot this to the right, converted to B/W

markII
tripod
24-105 f/4.0
iso 100
1/40 @ f/18
-1 exp

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
here is the angle from the left

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I do like the second post (to the right). Those branches in the FG are really strong at dragging your eye into the fallen branches.