PDA

View Full Version : Blackbrowned Albatross, Falklands close portrait in rain

Brutus Ostling
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
First landing we had on West Point Island, Falklands. I have been there once before, five years ago. It started with rain, and more rain, so I went into close portraits.

Number 2 from Antarctica-trips in November
1. Giant Petrel

Less than a handful of dirt points I have cleaned, but that was enough, I think. Didn't want to make it too clean.

Arthur Morris
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Looks dingy. Flash would have helped. COMP is good as is Pater's suggestion.

Daniel Cadieux
12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I agree flash would have helped. Wish there was more "life" in the eyes. Still a great portrait - I like the composition and tight crop. The rain drops are pretty neat.

Just noticed that the bill, all by itself, kinda looks like a bird's head too :-)

Brutus Ostling
12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Artie,
thanks for reminding me about more use of the flash, I rarely use it since three-four years. But it's still a good way of adding to a portrait like this. Like I did before I went into hides so much.
Best,
Brutus

Juan Aragonés
12-07-2008, 03:04 AM
I like the original composition Brutus but have to agree that a touch of fill flash would be a great idea. I love the water drops in the feathers, Maybe you can try to add some light to the image with a selective adjustment of levels to the white areas of the plumage and the eyes and saving the bill. Some noise reduction on the redh tip of the bill would help. Here is what I mean

Brutus Ostling
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Juan,

many thanks. Yeah, if I will use it in a book I may add like this.

Best,
Brutus