PDA

View Full Version : Yellow billed hornbill

Charl Steyn
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Got this hornbill in the Pafuri region of the Kruger National Park during a recent visit.
Canon 1D mark III with 500mm f4L IS, 1/500 at f5.6 ISO400 +1.0 EC
This post illustrates the 'automatic resizing problem', as per my post in the 'Digital workflow' forum.
The uploaded image was 204kb in size and it now shows as a 61kb file.
C & C always welcome.

Juan Aragonés
12-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Charl I like the bird´s pose a lot but it would be better if the bird were located in a paralel plane with the sensor of the camera. the light is really nice and it would be great just a little bit of more DOF. Considering the camera body taht you are using and the light I think that it would be easy to go for a higher ISO to get more DOF. A lower angle would also be great.

John Chardine
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Great subject and you have caught a nice moment as the bird picks up something in the bill and makes eye contact. Overall though the image is soft so I experimented with some sharpening in Photoshop. Seems to hold quite well, although a sharper original would have produced a better result.

Charl Steyn
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks Juan and John for your comments - much appreciated.
John, I think a lot of what you see as soft is due to the auto resizing of the image. The image I uploaded was as stated, 204kb, yet it only showed up as being 61kb. As soon as the problems are resolved I'll upload what I intended to show.

John Chardine
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, that's a big difference! yes I think it's best to hold off for a while so that the problems can be solved.

Stu Bowie
12-06-2008, 03:28 AM
These guys are now known as flying banana's. LOL. Cant help with the resizing, so Im sure the system will come right.