PDA

View Full Version : How to sip nectar ...

adcolon
12-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Tropical buckeye, Junonia genoveva, at Loiza, Puerto Rico. Canon 30D, Canon 180mm macro w/ext tube and 580X flash. ISO 100, f/16 @ 1/250 sec.

Julie Kenward
12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Alfredo, I'm not sure what to say here. I think some of this image is very good and some of it is a little lacking.

I love the angle of the insect to the plane of the camera lens. I don't like that so much of it is in shadow.

I do like that you got up close to the yellow center of the flower. I don't like that you had to cut off the white petals to do it.

I really like the FG and I really don't care that much for the BG. See? Back and forth.

I think for the next time, try to get more of the flash near the insect and less on the flower. Try to keep the FG illuminated and let the BG drop away. I think that would really have helped here.

It's not a bad image...just not one of my favorites like you've done in the past. I'm curious to know how you feel about this image.

adcolon
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I wanted to show how butterflies sip nectar thru their "straw". So I emphasized the head, straw and flower. The background is just as it was in the field.

Mike Moats
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Alfredo, very cool image, nice seeing it in action on the sipping. Would have been nice not to have the grren stem in the BG, but sometimes it just works out that way.

Stu Bowie
12-07-2008, 02:14 AM
I think you have portrayed exactly what you set out to do. Comp wise, I would take a bit off the bottom, and agree with Julie about more flash around the head. Maybe upping your ISO would have helped. Still, well captured Alfredo.