PDA

View Full Version : Lower Falls, Yellowstone

John Blumenkamp
12-04-2008, 01:17 AM
This is a variation of an image I've worked at capturing in the past... this time, it was interesting to me to see the sunlight hit the falls then fade as clouds moved in over time. I like this particular image for the contrast of rock in sunlight to the shadow behind the falls to the mist in the lower pat of the frame.

Any comments and thoughts are appreciated... Thanks, John

1/500 f/8 iso100

Robert Amoruso
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
John,

I like this unusual image a lot. I think it is well balanced with the many "shades of light" and competing tones. Thing I might suggest is bringing up the luminance on the rock in the LR. IT is getting some sunlight and I think it would be interesting to see it a brighter shade of midtone then the in shadow falls.

Phil Colla
12-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Strong and graphic, and a different take on an oft-seen subject. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey John,
Nice handling of tough light.........and considering the hike.........well thought out also! I agree with Robert on lightening the lower rock a bit........it may have lost it in the compression........but could stand a bit more. Nicely seen and composed!

Judd Patterson
12-06-2008, 11:53 PM
That's a really cool composition, John! I love the light/shadow and the mist. Nice eye to find something different at this location.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
That lower corner rock just anchors the whole image, John. I agree that a bit more detail would be nice in that respect. The water and lighting is so well done and the crop is perfection.