PDA

View Full Version : Naming conventions

Jim Poor
01-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I've gone back and forth on this so many times it isn't funny. I'm wondering if anyone would share some ideas with me.

Right now I currently rename all imported files to YY/MM/DD -HH/MM/SS. I started that a while back when I had a program that would rename down to the sub-second, which Lightroom currently won't do.
This becomes a problem with high frame rates.

I once used the naming conventions that Moose Peterson put forth with the Digital Pro software, but I found it a little cumbersome.

I've thought about just going to a species + serial, but it could get a bit long for something line Great Blue Heron - 0000006, or even longer names. Of course I could just as easily go with GBH-0000006.

I figure that once I start actually selling usage rights and such, that I'll be stuck with whatever naming system I have in use at the time so I can keep track of what is what.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

Pete Woods
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Seems very complicated. I use the picture number from the camera with my custom prefix. LR then catalogs them in date files. I then add appropriate keywords.
When posting or selling etc I would rename and refile.

Larry Daniel
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Keywords is the key, the hard part is remembering to enter them.
:)

Art Peslak
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I rename as species_location_file number.

Lightroom does this relatively easily with the custom name function. I just select all the same species in grid view and rename the photos. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Chris Ober
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I finally settled on the method listed in The DAM Book. string_YYYYMMDD_imagenumber
String could be your name, camera model, or anything else but short. ober_20080118_1234.CR2

Alfred Forns
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Usullay keep them by location After sorting eding use location date number In LR sort them by keyword

No endiing to what you can do