PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Fort DeSoto

Bruce Enns
12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi, I don't do many landscapes but can't resist a classic sunrise with a palm tree...for all those out there that don't get to regularly see them. No cool clouds, but that wasn't my decision.:)

Canon 50D with EF-S17-55 f/2.8 at 42 mm ISO 800, 1/40s, f/2.8, handlheld, cloned out the various streetlights and cropped to slight pano

Comments and critiques are most welcome...thanks for looking!

Cheers!
Bruce

Rocky Sharwell
12-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I find this image interesting--I have photographed many sunrises from this spot and never included the tree. I like the use f the tree--but do not care for the lighter colored strip of water on the left side of the image right at the edge of the land.

Robert Amoruso
12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Bruce,

The tree is a nice inclusion and balances the image well with the bridge. W/o the tree it is like many images I have seen and even made myself there so you did great by including it. Rocky brought up a good point on that bright strip and I agree. I would clone it out.

Bruce Enns
12-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks very much, I shot quite a few of just the bridge and the sunrise as well, but then when I started driving back towards the north beach I noticed the lone palm standing there asking to be included. I agree about the bright water too...

Cheers!
Bruce

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Looks good Bruce, I sure would love to see a palm tree as I'm going snow blind

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Buce,
Since I can now see the image.......I will comment.......I agree with you and the others above about the brighter water.....will definitely help.........I will add a crop exploration.........I would definitely take a bit off the top (1/2 above the palm)......and maybe a bit off the black bottom........for a more pano look..........this will emphasize the structure of the bridge even more........and minimize your luck (no clouds).......and all the un-interesting areas..........then I would also explore a right and left crop........yes I know that this will take the palm off the ROT position.........but this is just to give you other ideas to explore. My personal taste is the pano crop.........but some people prefer the 2 to 3 ratio......so your call in the end. Nice luxury to have on multiple crops.