PDA

View Full Version : Motif: hoar frost on Cow Parsley

Jerry van Dijk
12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Smuggling a bit with the assignment: not really snow and taken last winter. Around here, a good pack of snow is rare in this time of year :(! The frost made an equally white world last year, including this Cow Parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris) seed head. Taken with a point and shoot Canon Ixus 850 IS. F/5, 1/320 sec, pattern metering. Sharpened, increased contrast slightly to get a uniform BG, added a little canvas to the left.
Let's hope for some real snow soon!
- Jerry -

Harold Davis
12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
jerry, this would be awesome with a little more detail!! i think it is overexposed. compositionwise, i like it!!

Gus Cobos
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Jerry,
I agree with the Doctor. the whites are a bit over cooked and over sharpened...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Cool image Jerry, did you use a backdrop? Agree with above comments but good attempt.

Jerry van Dijk
12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi there, thanks for the comments. It was an opportunity shot while walking in the park with my kids. No possibilities to control exposure on this camera! Jackie, I didn't use a backdrop. BG is a frozen over ditch. The ice was very clear, resulting in a completely black look. There was also a little piece of shaded ditch bank on the other side, but the underexposure of the BG as a result of the bright white frost in the FG took care of most of it. Increasing contrast made the rest disappear.
It started snowing today, but it melted right away. Still no chance for a new attempt!
- Jerry -

Alfred Forns
12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Jerry It is a very nice image, great composition. Even illumination would have been the key !!!

Sorry about the snow melting .... we have none in the forecast :)