View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Jim Craig
12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Running down the beach.

Nikon D300, Nikon 300/F4, Nikon TC14EII
1/80 sec f/6.3 ISO 500

Charl Steyn
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Jim, I like this action shot very much. Nice how the whole image shows the motion yet the head is sharp. Thanks for sharing it.

Doug Brown
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I like the sense of motion in the photo, and the eye is nice and sharp. I'd like to see some additional sharpening of the head feathers to help balance the sense of focus on the head.

Juan Aragonés
12-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Yes! this is a great image, well I like it a lot. The slow shutter speed that you used here produced a bluring of the legs that is very nice. The BG is OOF and that is great but still retains details of the bird´s habitat (I like it a lot). I wish for more room at the bottom of the frame and just a little more room at the right. Very good job and wish this one would be mine ;-)

Jim Craig
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I appreciate the comments and constructive suggestions. Doug, I went back and added a little creative sharpening on the head feathers (not on this copy) and saw an improvement. Thanks. Agree with you too Juan about giving the subject a little more room, one of the pitfalls of a fixed lens though. Charl, glad you liked it.

Brutus Ostling
12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Jim,

I really like this attempt to go beyond and use a really slow shutter-time. You have succeded, getting blurring and and an effect of speed but sharpness at important places. Congratulations! It's hard to get it right like this.

If I would say anything towards what may be even better next time, I may have wished for more in the bottom of the pic (now it's too much up instead). I would also have preferred (if that was - or will be - possible) a lower angle. If this could be done next time, you will have a SUPER shot.

But this is good.

Brutus