Using the Orton Technique I finished this in CS3

Nikon D3
24mm pce lens
F 13
1/400th
ISO 200

Michael Pancier
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
John just curious as to your orton settings. looks great.

john crookes
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Michael

I did this one with two screen layers to overexpose by two stops then I merged the layers next layer I did a Gausin Blur of 42 then did a Multiply blend on that layer..
Placed an empty mask on that layer and then did a black brush at about 40 percent and zero hardness and painted in some of the details in the shadows that get lost in the multiply blend mode

John

denise ippolito
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks great -nice bold colors with an interesting shot!

Julie Kenward
12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
John, I'm a big fan of the Orton look especially in landscapes and this is really nice. Two things - I'd think about pulling down the yellow tones in the grass unless that is the distinct you are looking for. It feels a bit "unbalanced" in color. Also, the truck right at the very front of the frame makes me feel crowded for some reason. I can't tell if a bit of a turn or just a little bit more room in the FG would take that feeling away. I like that you put it in the photo at an angle but it feels like its going to run me over!

Overall, I like it. The sky is especially nice and you did a great job on the Orton effect.

Gus Cobos
12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi John,
I like it bold, simple and in your face...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I thinking the same as Jules The colors look a little funky unless you are trying for that look Might desaturate just a bit !!!

Nailed the technique !!!!

Arthur Morris
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, I am not sure what the Orton effect is, but I do like the bold look and the bright colors. Why clip the tire on our left??? There seems to be some major funkiness above the mountains... So yes, a bit more room below and on our left would be better....