PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Green

Bruce Enns
12-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Hi, I photographed this Green Heron on a dock in downtown Tampa just before the sun went down. I guess that's one way to get a clean background in a photo of this species.

Canon 50D & 100-400 L @ 400, ISO 800, 1/25s @ f/5.6 AV Mode, handheld which left the bird underexposed, so I dialed in +0.35EV in ACR.

Comments and critiques are most welcome and appreciated!

Cheers!
Bruce

Lana Hays
12-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Bruce
I like this one.....colors, pose and simplicity. It looks like there may be a "dust bunny" just above the head......or something in the water that I'd clone out. Nice details. I might add just a bit of saturation to bring out those pretty colors. Well done.

Alfred Forns
12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I like it Bruce Any green with a clean bg is an oddity :)

Agree with suggestions and a keeper in my book !!

Gus Cobos
12-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Bruce,
A very nice composition. I like the colors and details as presented. very good advise given...looking forward to your next capture...good show...:cool:

Bruce Enns
12-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks very much everyone...you will note from the other specs that the shutter speed was already extremely slow for a handheld shot @ 400mm and wide open on a crop camera(1/25s). Dialing in some EV plus exposure in AV mode, or using manual mode on the camera probably would have made the shot impossible...I was very lucky that it is as sharp as it is. I think in this case, underexposing a bit and fixing it in ACR with a bit of additional noise reduction and a bump up in exposure worked out okay. I did try a couple of fill flash shots but didn't like those results as much as this shot.

Cheers!
Bruce