PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Gull?

Bruce Enns
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi, I don't get a lot of practice with gulls, because the only ones around where I live are Ring-billed. This shot was taken on Sanibel Island, and I was hoping someone would verify my ID, which is an immature (2nd-year?) Laughing Gull. Am I right?

Cheers!
Bruce

John Chardine
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I think you are right here Bruce, at least that it is a Laughing Gull. The extent of dark in the tail, hint of reddish around mouth, underwing mottling, dark feathers around back of head all point to this species. It is important to know when during the year the image was made to help age the bird but by the looks of the tail, which has a wide dark band, I would say it is a first winter bird. If so the upper wing should show buff patches rather than medium-grey. Second winter birds have only a few remnants of the dark tail band.

Judd Patterson
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Bruce, you are correct with the Laughing Gull ID (and John provided great information on why). As for gulls in your area, you could expect quite a few species other than Ring-billed. I'm sure that at least a few Herring, California, Bonaparte's, Franklin's, etc are present from time to time...but the identifying can sometimes be a tricky to learn.

Bruce Enns
12-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks Judd, I used to live on the coast of BC, where I did see many of the species you've mentioned. I am now, however about 8 hours inland from the coast by car, and I see that the gulls you've mentioned do apparently occur here, but have yet to see any gull other than Ring-billed...maybe I'm just not looking closely enough.

Cheers!
Bruce