PDA

View Full Version : Wet Season

Paul Marcellini
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
For a while now I have wanted to get a companion image to this (http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=vp&pr=69001&pi=PAULMARCELLINI&CGISESSID=17dc0e1617cfc7d3e11dd138670d6620&u=29214) one, called "Dry Season", one of my favorites. Well i decided to go out last night before the water dropped and luck would have it that sunset cooperated. I have a shot that really mirrors Dry season with the same dappled clouds, but prefer this one for the bolder colors brought on by the 10 stop nd. Somehow managed to keep in the whole dynamic range and with a lot of finessing brought the tones back and have this.

It may be a bit busy for some but this is the type of comp I enjoy and think it benefits from large printing(the 5d2 should aid that) =)

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20d, 10-22@10mm f16 iso200 10stop nd 30s

Dave Mills
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
You captured beautiful light and some wonderful silouettes. In this particular image I don't feel the foreground helps. There is alot of material in the foreground that is either breaking up the reflections and distracting from the center of interest. I know your aware of that since you mentioned that some may find this busy. I also feel the subject matter in the foreground is very weak compared to the top half of the image. I personally like it cropped to just below the waterline where the mounds of grass are in the water.
I think you did and excellent job in exposure and bringing out the detail...

Alma K Bailey
12-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Paul,

truely lovely.

Rich Ikerd
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Exceptional Paul. Your Everglades landscapes are truly inspiring.

Robert Amoruso
12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I like the FG. If you notice, the more pronounced elements are in an inverted triangle and mimic the shape of the trees. The cloud movement is a nice touch.

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Paul,
As always, you chose the perfect time of day. The colors are fabulous. I do see what DMills is talking about........but not sure it's the immediate FG that is distracting ........as much as the middle ground a little further back towards the tree line.......where it really gets jumbled. I do know that it is impossible to do anything about this.......so all in all handled about as well as could be expected.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Very nice Paul, with the clouds adding a great touch

Paul Marcellini
12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I actually thought about using a polarizer to knock out the pine reflections but don't have a working shutter cable and was already at the limit of exposure with the 10 stop nd and 30s.