PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill crane dark morph?

Bill Bryant
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Not sure if there even is such a thing as a dark morph sandhill, but came across this very dark version of a Sandhill at Bosque last week. Anyone know if this is common?

John Chardine
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
This is an interesting one Bill and I have to admit to not having a definitive answer. Some birds have dark variants called "melanistic" and I suppose this could be going on here. The feathers almost look like they are stained. Is it possible it is a young bird? Anyone have other ideas??

David Tyrer
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
This is actualy typical plumage of, in particular juvenile Sandhills. The rusty staining on the back, lower chest and wing areas is a result of preening with mud containing ferrous solution. In general the juveniles have a brownish neck and head in addition to any staining that may be present. The bird in this photo is a typically plumaged juvenile Sandhill Crane. Ref: Sibley, P. Dunne, & J. Dunn

Bill Bryant
12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks David & John. I would have thought if young birds have this coloration, then I would have seen many looking like this. But out of thousands viewed and photographed, it was the only one I saw (or noticed) with this coloration.