PDA

View Full Version : Wichita Mtns.Rock and Lichen

ChasMcRae
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Well I never thought I would be posting more landscape images than birds or animals,but here I go again.
Struck by late afternoon light on lichen covered rocks surrounded by red Sumac and flanked by evergreens. Unfortunately one evergreen was very sickly looking.
I did a panoramic type crop.
I really did not do the overall effect justice, but just being there was great.

Chas.
ile size: 181KB
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Camera serial number: 1120719490
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Owner: Chas. Mc Rae
Date/Time: 2008:11:04 19:02:12
Copyright: Copyrighted
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Spot
ISO: 400
Lens: 100 to 400mm
Focal length: 100mm
Subject distance: 36 m
Image size: 800 x 305
Rotation: none
White balance: Auto
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Robert Amoruso
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Chuck,

I got almost the same image. This was before the workshop because by the time we started it, most of the red faded here. Glad you noticed it. Since I made one myself, I like the image and the balance/bookends of the two trees. Like that you left room on each side.

Paul Marcellini
12-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Since you mention the lichen on the rocks I wish to see it better. I think zooming in on the lichen and left tree would have emphasized the light and the textures, which do seem very nice. I do like this comp though and the distant trees just over the horizon are a nice addition.

Robert Amoruso
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Paul,

The problem was that this particular scene was not really easily photographed. It was located right on the main refuge road and no parking. You could stop on a side road which is where this looks to have been taken from but could not park there either.

I did what I was not supposed to do and parked on the side road and walked closer but never found a composition I liked better then this one as it jived better with the BG. I will have to post mine for comparison.

ChasMcRae
12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Robert,
Of course I pulled my jeep off onto edge where i thought it looked the best. The 4 wh drive always frees my mind about where I park . I'm not sure if I broke any rules but there were no warnings about this if you could. Govt personnel passed me and waved.
I know in some areas like Ntl Grasslands such as Pawnee you are allowed to pull over almost 20 ft but again terrain is such you can not do it in a standard vehicle. I try not to push the boundary if warnings are up such as in Yellowstone ,but in lightly traveled NWR,Parks,etc there is much more tolerance for photographers,wildlife watchers,etc.

Chas.

Robert Amoruso
12-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Agree Chuck. I had refuge personnel pass me and never gave a hoot. Actually, I think the better image was the one like this. I did move in close but never ended up with anything I liked.

Sorry if I mislead you or anyone, I was not trying to insinuate you did something wrong.:(:confused: Because you did not.:)

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey Chas,
Sorry didn't respond earlier......all the technical difficulty........I do like the comp......but Paul's comments on the lichen is interesting........because if it isn't in the title..........he probably wouldn't mention it. I do like the comp overall........and as Robert mentioned.........the trees balance nicely. Nice detail in the sky also.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Great comp, Like how you framed the rocks in with the trees

ChasMcRae
12-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Just back from NC mtns and read posts.
Robert ,I didn't even think about your saying I was doing something wrong,but just pointing out ability to position with vehicle is very helpful. I have fudged rules sometimes ,but please do not tell anyone because I'm very careful about destroying true habitat or harassing animals.
I do have images of the lichen closer but ended up liking the overall image better.
Comments do make one think(and sometimes that's a rare commodity as we rush around in our lives)

Chas.