PDA

View Full Version : Willet: Wings Spread

Phil Ertel
12-02-2008, 07:14 PM
This is an image was captured on November 24th on Pine Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina at 3:10pm.

I have been struggling with composition/cropping. Does this presentation work for you? Oh, yes I got wet but, the camera stayed dry!

Thanks for looking and of course any critiques.

Regards,

Phil

Camera: 40D
Lens: Canon EF70-200mm IS USM
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure: 1/250s at f/8.0
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO: 400
Flash: Fired; comp -2
Hand Held

Harold Davis
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
looks great to me!! if i were to do anything i would add just a tad bit of canvas to the bottom and left. nice image!!

Alfred Forns
12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Agree with Harold and wouldn't mind a little more room all around (not much)

Normally I don't like the bright breaking surf but here looks good with the pose. Feel as if the bird got caught off guard !!! Might want to sharpen the eye a little more I like it !!! ..... nice low angle !!!

denise ippolito
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I agree w/ Alfred and Harold-can only add that I like the BG very much it gives alot of interest-love the pose also!

Phil Ertel
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I asked about the cropping/composition as I am feeling a little confused. I have recently post two images on the Wild and Free Board and received feedback on composition (posting on subject in frame). Considering those comments with past suggestions I have received here; I am obviously not processing the input correctly. Other than Arthur Morris’ books does anyone have a suggestion on a good reference for placing subjects in frame?

Learning can be frustrating at time but, that is what makes it interesting. All of your comments help me along the way.

Best Regards,

Phil

Gus Cobos
12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Phil,
I like the composition, good advise given by Doctor Davis and Mr. Forns. I also tend to believe that this composition would look better with more room for the feet at the bottom. What is it that confuses you as far as composition and framing?

Desmond Chan
12-03-2008, 03:16 AM
I like the background and the pose, but on my monitor the bird looks a bit soft overall.

Gus Hallgren
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi:
Go along with a bit more room, however, i think it's a bit soft. Does this make any sense?

Uncle Gus

Jackie Schuknecht
12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Like the capture and the subdued colours on this one Phil. Agree with more canvas to the left and bottom and a little sharpening of the eye.