PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blast

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-02-2008, 07:34 AM
We had a major system come though yesterday dumping 18 inches of snow in my area. Shot this between squalls with very low light. Converted to b/w

markII
tripod
24-105 f/4.0
iso 100
1/40 @ f/18
-1 exp

Roman Kurywczak
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey Curly,
I may be one of the few people awaiting the arrival of snow.........just for such opportunities. I've debated this one for a while........as I really like the textures you captured in the snow and the B&W conversion is super! Originally......i was struggling with the larger evergreen on the right. The open area/path is my favorite part..........as it draws me into the image.......and that beautiful distant BG. I really like the snow covered rock and the twigs directly in front of it.........as well as the texture under that evergreen border.........so I decided that the debate was over......you make me feel like I am under that evergreen and it balances the larger bald sky nicely! Very well done! Now........let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Robert Amoruso
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I was having a time trying to decide how I felt about this image too. But I think Roman provides a good dissertation on its merits.

Paul Marcellini
12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
No debate for me. I really like this comp. Its very intimate but gives me an out to explore in the distance. The conversion works well, although I'm sure the scene wasn't too far from a mono already.

Dave Mills
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I was trying to figure out what was bothering me about the image and I think it's the stick thats coming behind the bush towards the right. With that out you can experiment with the image by cropping down the sky and you can also play with cropping out or leaving in the tree on the right.

Alma K Bailey
12-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Well living in a ski resort with NO SNOW I have to say I love this.

We are really waiting for snow here in Big Bear, California and a community that needs the work I say say also LET IT SNOW,

Nicely done.

Alma

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Roman the snow just keeps coming, they used to say 3 to 5 inches now they say one to one and a half feet of the white stuff the next couple days. The gift that keeps on giving

Thanks for all your suggestion and I will play with it next week as I have to shovel and plow more snow today.

Your right Paul the scene was mono.

I hope Alma you get some snow as businesses are struggling enough without the weather against them also