PDA

View Full Version : House Finch or Purple Finch?

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Here is another problem of mine! Thank you John for your help on the gull. In this part of the country we often get both House Finches and Purple Finches and I have a terrible time telling them appart.This is an example: I think this is a Purple Finch, but I have this nagging felling I am dead wrong as I have been in the past. The NG Birds of NA says the tail of the Puple Finch is strongly notched and this bird seems to have that. It further says that the House Finch has heavy streaks on the stomach and this bird has that. I have some other images of the bird, so if this image isn't enough let me know and I will send along another.

Mac

2008:11:30 10:21:11
200-400mm @ 400mm
600mm (in 35mm film)
1/500 sec, f/4
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 7,657KB
Image size: 1530 x 1701
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sR

James Prudente
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
House Finch. The coarse streaks on the buff flanks are the key. The Purple Finch does not have streaking on the reddish flanks. Hope this helps.

Jim

John Chardine
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Jim points out a very useful method of identifying species- remember one or a few key differences between species and base your determination on this. This system was developed by arguably the most famous birder in the world- Roger Tory Peterson- and he used it in his field guides with huge success. In this case, to ID House and Purple Finches, have a look at the flanks and decide which species it is based on the presence of prominent streaking. The other method birders often use is to rely on the overall look of the bird (plumage, colour, behaviour, posture, shape etc) which our brains process as a package of information. Both methods eliminate the need to remember every detailed difference between two species (which some really keen birders can do as well!). British birders refer to this overall look as "jizz" and is akin to the idea of "Gestalt" in psychology.

Michael Yessik
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I have read your descriptions closely, but would still like an expert eye. My wife says it's a Purple Finch. I say I can't tell. What do the experts say?

John Chardine
12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm no expert on finches Michael but I have seen both species. This one looks like it has features of both! Could it be a hybrid I wonder. The boldly streaked flanks are a House Finch trait but the extensive read on the head and upper back look more like a Purple Finch. I have posted a Purple Finch so you can see how different the flanks are to your bird.

Others?

Cindy Crawford
12-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I have read your descriptions closely, but would still like an expert eye. My wife says it's a Purple Finch. I say I can't tell. What do the experts say?

I'd say House Finch. Purples, around here anyway, aren't so intensely and solidly red in front, and don't have such heavy streaking.The notched tail could be worn out feathers, depending on the time of year. My $.002

Axel Hildebrandt
12-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Michael, another vote for house finch.