PDA

View Full Version : Sand Hill Crane with Reflection

Maxis Gamez
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
http://www.********.org/bpn/40D/_MG_9191.jpg
Sand Hill Crane with Reflection - S.W Florida

In my previous post, we talked about how reflections should be handled. While this is more of a taste topic, I just would like to share with you all, what "I" think a reflection should look like. However, as I said, this is a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong rather what makes an image stronger.

I would like your opinion.

Here is a link to the previous post.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25054

I hope you like it.

Canon 40D, 500mm L @ f/5.6, 1/800 sec, ISO 400, Tripod, RAW, Slightly cropped to help composition.

Thanks!

ChasMcRae
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh yes a much stronger image than the previous post in my eye ,but the silhouette is only part of it. Nice curve of neck with droplets of water accentuating the action.It is not the typical static silhouette.
Slight blurring along edge of silhouette-pp vs floating material ?
Really a nice image to me and can not suggest anything.

Chas.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Very nice as you got low and water off the bill adds to the image with the good colors in the background

bill kominsky
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Maxis, you know how partial i am to your work and this image is more powerful than the last, maybe because of the full image reflection. Everything in this image works and works very well, wonderfully presented.

Bill

Michael Pancier
12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
this is a work of art. was this at estero?

Bob Blanchard
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I love this one Maxis! the seamless blend of sky, horizon, and forground really works here. The ripples of the water set the borders perfectly, and and of course, the bird gave you a fantastic pose. I think I might be tempted to clean up a few of the spots (at least the major ones) from the water. No point having the eye pulled away to such a minor imperfection on such an incredible image.

Steve Maxson
12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I think both of your reflection images are excellent, Maxis, though they are quite different from each other. Is one better than the other? - depends on who you ask. :)

Mark Schmitt
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
As you say, some aspects of photography are "subjective" and personal. That said the image has a nice sense of symitry and this would only have worked (in my subjective opinion) because of the silohett effect of the mono-dimentional birds. Good image.

Rich Ikerd
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Two totally different images Maxis - both well presented. Which one is better is all in the eyes of the beholder (as I'm sure you are aware). In the previous image, the ripples added an extra dimension to the image that negated needing the full reflection. While in this image, the full reflection is key to the image being complete. The curve of the sandhill's neck and the water droplets are a bonus here making the image that much more appealing. And just to be clear - I really l like them both!

Sabyasachi Patra
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Maxis,
This image works due to its colours, silhouette, clean bg, water droplets and especially due to the symmetry of the image and its reflection. If the reflection had ripples, then it would have taken away lot of impact. You can simulate that effect in PS and see.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi