PDA

View Full Version : What I think of Michigan Winter

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I shot this today as we got 18 inches of snow today in Northern Michigan. This Hoodie showed up in one of my ponds today.

markIII
600mm+1.4
AV
400ISO
F/ 5.6
Blubb bag out of jeep

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
We dodged a bullet here as the forecast was calling for lots of snow for us too...but the temp climbed above freezing and kept the precipitation in the form of rain.

I like the feeling of early winter your image projects. I also like the view of the fanned tail on the water surface. As posted the merganser is soft, perhaps due to the movement of it swimming away - what was your shutter speed? You could crop the top to eliminate the thick horizontal branch and the one peeking in ULC. You would still retain the winter elements, but strenghten the comp somewhat. A bit of CCW rotation is also needed. Thanks for posting!!

Doug Brown
12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I agree with Daniel. The bird should be more to the right in the frame, as it's both looking and moving left. Assuming that you have the extra pixels, cropping would take care of your composition.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your help, here a repost

Doug Brown
12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Much better, although I'd still be tempted to crop a little off the bottom of the frame; the bird is relatively small in the frame as presented.