PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with silver efex pro

Nancy A Elwood
11-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, as the title says, I have been playing around with this new program by Niksoftware. It has a very nice interface and lots of options. Thought I would share one that I did from Grand Teton NP. The link to the gallery that the colored one is- http://www.naturesportal.net/gallery/6106155_Zqvae/1/389470754_RyFCV

I am just learning about B&W so all C&C would be welcomed:). It seems to come out nicely on matte paper.

http://www.naturesportal.net/photos/427048568_pezCV-L.jpg

Dan Brown
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Nancy. I don't see an image here?:confused:

Dave Mills
11-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I do see the image...Nice composition. I might suggest applying a bit more contrast in order to bring the mountains up.

Dan Brown
11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Ah, I see it now and I agree with it needing more contrast. I like the scene though.

Chris Hansen
11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I like the overall image and composition. I think what needs to be done is to correct the shadows in the mountains so that they are of a similar density as the shadows of the barn and trees in the foreground. Looks like a fun software to work with. It will be nice to see some more of what you can do with it.

Chris

Robert Amoruso
11-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Chris has the right suggestion. It looks like you used the software to open up shadows in the mountains and other areas but the trees stand out with significantly more contrast then rest of the image. Generally and I know this is easier said then done, but you want a B&W image to have a dark shadow, a light highlight and a good spread of tones in between. However the image needs to have a uniform look to the contrast throughout the image and not look flat.

I downloaded it and using a levels adjustment I set a RGB = 50 black point on the mountain shadows and a RGB = 240 white point on the mountain snow. I then did some dodging on the trees, barn and a few other areas to open up the now too dark shadows.

Not perfect and you will do better with the original.

Good composition and great choice for a B&W image.

Nancy A Elwood
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and Robert many thanks for showing me the results of said suggestions!!! I have something now to work with.

Roman Kurywczak
12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Nancy,
I didn't see the original...........so I am going with Robert's re-post. I like your choice of going with the B&W here.......and it is composed very well. for my tastes......I may crop just above your signature on the bottom and take a bit off proportionally on the right.........even if it is nicely textured. for me.........this strenghtens the comp even further.........by minimizing the bare sky to the right and the barest parts of the FG. This is subjective though and offered only as something to explore.