PDA

View Full Version : GBH pair at Venice Rookery

Bob Blanchard
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Stopped by Venice rookery again a couple days ago. One nest has two chicks up already (looked like they were no more than 2 or 3 days old). I think this image is a near miss. I love the pose on the left bird, but would have liked a bit more head turn on the right bird. The shadows being cast by the large trees in the lower right are a bit aggravating as well. Sadly, with the current sun angle at sunrise, the best light is kinda messed up by the large trees behind the photography area. The entire left side of the rookery gets engulfed in their shadow, and all you can do is hope for a crack in the cast shadow to work through. that's what this was.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4L, f/4, 1/2000, manual mode, ISO 200.

http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/427650963_WNjBs-X3.jpg

Alfred Forns
11-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I like it a lot Bob !!!

Agree with your image assessment As presented would like more room It is a clean image which is not easy at the rookery.

Last year we did not have many nests, hope we do better this one. btw how is the grass up front?

Fabs Forns
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Excellent self critique, bob. The male looks gorgeous, bt the female's head angle and shadowed feet keep it from being better.
Will probably be there in December. Brazilian Peppers in bloom I'm guessing?

Bob Blanchard
11-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks Alfred and Fabs!

Alfred - They have cut the grass in front, so no problem there at all.

Fabs - Brazilian peppers still predominantly green, but starting to turn. I'd say about 2 to 3 more weeks before nice, consistent red.

The best activity so far is toward the left side, but that is the side that you have to fight the shadows on during prime light. Hoping the sun angle starts to shift away soon. The Anhinga chicks are already getting pretty big! Not much Great Egret activity at all yet, though. The sunrise expolsions of egrets and Ibis are pretty spectacular, though. Lots of them!