PDA

View Full Version : Ophion - Short-tailed Ichneumon Wasp

adcolon
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
El Yunque National Forest, Río Grande, Puerto Rico. Canon 30D, Canon 180mm macro w/extender and 580X Flash. ISO 100, f/11 @ 1/250 sec.

Julie Kenward
11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, Alfredo, you nailed this one! I really love the composition and the fact that you left the orientation upside down. Even though the insect looks like he's dead center he's not...his eyes are very close to the ROT's position and that make the whole thing work. You got great DOF, beautiful color and very nice details throughout the entire image. The best part is you can barely see any traces of the flash!

The only small negative I can see is a few tiny blemishes on the leaf that are white/lighter colored. I'd clone them out - especially the one by his hind leg on the left (our left not his left!) Then I'd print that baby and hang it on a wall.

adcolon
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Thanks Julie.

Kaushik Balakumar
12-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Hmmm... a very difficult scene to compose.
The white balance looks a bit too warm (especially when u look at the green leaf) IMHO.
A nice looking wasp with good details & it is sharp where it matters.

Aristotle Georgiou
12-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Nice capture, like the view and good detail. My only nit is the casted shadow is a little distracting. Maybe playing around with off camera flash would help.