PDA

View Full Version : Juvy

wendell westfall
11-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Nikon D70s 70-200VR @ 100 1/640 f4.2 0EV ISO 1000

This was taken a year ago, but I remember the occasion vividly. The little guy was still unimpressed with a photographer being so close to him, and snapping away. Unfortunately, when he did fly away I missed that photo-op. I had been experimenting with high ISO settings and did not realize I had left it at 1000, something I would not have done ordinarily. The crop is minimal. And, by the way, I did run the Noise Reduction that is available in Lightroom. I've had trouble with that aspect of my images in the past (with much lower ISO settings); is there a problem with this one?

Wendell

Harold Davis
11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
wendell, it looks like you over sharpened this guy. when you sharpen you actually change the exposure of the image. watch the histogram next time you sharpen to see what i mean. there are highlights over exposed now and somewhat of a halo around the bird that is normally a dead giveaway. i think if you process this one differently you can get a totally different feel even if it was at ISO 1000.

composition wise, you captured your subject at a slightly steeper angle and the head angle of the bird really doesnt allow the viewer to connect with him.

hope this helps!!

Gus Cobos
11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Wendell,
Very good advise given by Doctor Davis...The points that catch my eye off the bat, is the washed out water. It looks strange; and the prominent halo around your bird. You did over sharpen... with a little bit of patience and practice, you will get better and better. The bird is placed well in frame. Looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lance Peters
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi Wendell - agree with all of the above - your aggresive use of sharpening suggests that it may have been a bit soft to start with - if you are using the nikon 70-200, its extremely sharp so thats not the cause - also with VR your shutter speed should have been sufficent to not have any issues. If you have a good sharp image to start with life is much easier. Does look soft on my screen - would be intresting to see the original un processed image.
:)

Jackie Schuknecht
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Wendell agree with Harold's comments, keep them coming !

wendell westfall
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Lance, here is the original unprocessed image . . .