PDA

View Full Version : Resting Stag

Tom Dolezal
11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Wildlife/_V2C5597-Edit.jpg

Technical: Canon 1D Mk3, Canon 500 IS f/4.5, ISO 800, f/5.0, 1/800, 0EV, handheld

C&C Welcome

Thanks for looking

DanWalters
11-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I like the foilage surrounding the subject and the comp. Could be just a little warmer.

Tom Dolezal
11-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I like the foilage surrounding the subject and the comp. Could be just a little warmer.

Thanks for your comments Dan which are very much appreciated. A 'warmed up' version:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Wildlife/_V2C5597-2.jpg

Tom

Robert Amoruso
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Tom,

The post is stellar. I love the FG but if you are OK with this, I would clone out the one long grass on the right. THe OOF BG works well here too and the stag is nice and sharp with great DOF, good head position.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Tom,
I like this image. The repost is brighter, warmer and better. Inclusion of the foreground gives a nice feel of the habitat. As mentioned earlier, the out of focus background is a big help in focusing the attention on the stag. You managed the sharpness well with handholding. It is good that the head is turned towards you. Good job.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Austin Thomas
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Tom,

Nice to meet a fellow UK contributor on BPN !

On my screen the first image is better colour wise and doesn't have the OOF grass mentioned by Robert. The colour on the repost looks too warm. Which month did you take the image and where was it taken? It looks like it could be Scotland and it is never warm in Scotland !!!!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Austin

Steve Maxson
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
This image has a great feel to it, Tom. It is sharp, well exposed, and has good composition. IMO, the original is better as the cool color tones give it a distinct mood that I like. Well done.

Tom Dolezal
12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Tom,

Nice to meet a fellow UK contributor on BPN !

On my screen the first image is better colour wise and doesn't have the OOF grass mentioned by Robert. The colour on the repost looks too warm. Which month did you take the image and where was it taken? It looks like it could be Scotland and it is never warm in Scotland !!!!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Austin

Greetings Austin from Kent.

Very much agree about the repost being too warm. The original colours are far more representaive of the true colours seen on an cloudy Scottish day. Image taken begining of October this year in Assynt, NW Scotland when it is traditionally far more wet & overcast than sunshine.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Tom,

The post is stellar. I love the FG but if you are OK with this, I would clone out the one long grass on the right. THe OOF BG works well here too and the stag is nice and sharp with great DOF, good head position.

Thanks Robert for your valued comments and suggestions as always very much appreciated.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Tom,
I like this image. The repost is brighter, warmer and better. Inclusion of the foreground gives a nice feel of the habitat. As mentioned earlier, the out of focus background is a big help in focusing the attention on the stag. You managed the sharpness well with handholding. It is good that the head is turned towards you. Good job.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Thank you Sabyasachi for your comments which are very much appreciated and valued.

Whilst the repost is a warmer scene I am not really comfortable with it as it little reflects the true scene on the day. I think its a question of personal taste whether to have image being representative of the actual scene as seen or trying to portray the image inn the most visually atractive manner.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
This image has a great feel to it, Tom. It is sharp, well exposed, and has good composition. IMO, the original is better as the cool color tones give it a distinct mood that I like. Well done.

Steve - many thanks for your valued comments which are very much appreciated.

The cooler tones as shown in the original post are more representative of the light conditions when shot and does have, imo, a more distinctive atmosphere.

Tom

John Ippolito
12-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Fine capture Tom. I prefer the cooler first image pesented as well. Lovely BG and FG.

Tom Dolezal
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Fine capture Tom. I prefer the cooler first image pesented as well. Lovely BG and FG.

Many thanks John for your kind comments which are very much valued and appreciated.

Tom