PDA

View Full Version : Late spider orchid (Ophrys holoserica) - single flower

Karl Günter Wünsch
11-30-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/naturescapes/20080611_s2_0040_bp.jpg
Canon 40D, Tokina 100 mm f/2.8 @ f/11, 1/50, ISO 320, Bilora ring flash @ -1.33 EV fill, Berlebach mini tripod, slight crop. Gönnersdorf, Eifel, Germany.

Julie Kenward
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Karl, overall I like this image. You have a beautiful composition here with the flower shooting diagonally across the frame and a beautiful OOF background in a complimentary color. The front part of your orchid is well lit and has nice detail throughout; however, I can definitely tell you used flash in the lighter back petals. Remember that the use of flash in an image like this is to fill in the missing light - not to take the object and overexpose it and, in this case, it's really close. It looks like you had decent light in the BG so I'm wondering what made you determine to use flash here?

The only part of this image that I find a little distracting is the two reddish area at the BLC (bottom left corner.) I know they are part of the flower next to this one but since they don't play a significant role I'd consider cloning them out so you are left looking at the purple petals and not "what's that down there in the corner?"

Kaushik Balakumar
12-01-2008, 05:08 AM
Absolutely beautiful image Karl. Liked this image more than the previous one u posted of the same species. This close-up has much better details and BG (background). Might agree with Julie on the highlights being a bit hot on top 3 petals but it is not so bothersome. What interested me most in this image is the large bottom petal & the central region of the flower. They look so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this image.
:)

Karl Günter Wünsch
12-01-2008, 08:54 AM
It looks like you had decent light in the BG so I'm wondering what made you determine to use flash here?
My reasoning for using the flash was that the late evening sun was back lighting the flower and thus a bit of fill flash was needed to make the exposure work. - I'm pretty sure that the flash was toned down enough, I have the same image without the flash firing and the flower to the left is that translucent as to show the same white spots...
As for cloning out the next flower below, I'm a bit ambivalent about this because it's in the nature of such flower spikes to have the next individual flower close but a bit unsightly because it opened a day or two earlier :(