PDA

View Full Version : motif: Pochard

SeanKP
11-30-2008, 07:42 AM
I almost forgot I'd taken this one. The ducks were pretty close and I wanted to include as much of the beautiful water as I could so I put the 400mm on my criminally under-used 1DS Mark II. I sometimes forget just what a great camera it is.

1DS Matk II with 400mm DO. Aperture Priority. +1 ec. ISO 400. F4 @ 1/1000 sec.

C&C as always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Sean

Jackie Schuknecht
11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Beautiful water bird Sean. Love the eye.Got the light falling right on the bird. I think I can hear sirens. the HA police may be on their way. Overall wonderful shot though.

Gus Cobos
11-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Sean,
I like the colors in the water you have sharp details in the feathers. Ideally, the duck should be swimming toward you, not away. the head angle is a little off. I made a few changes to illustrate a coupe of things. The water does have beautiful vibrant, sparkling tones and hues of browns and reds. but the upper portion of the composition is blurred. It doesn't look right to me. My eye keeps going there. I cropped from the right side of the frame to off center your subject and 1/4 from the bottom and a good portion of the blurred water on top; to put all the attention on the duck. Also toned down the hot spot on the head . boosted saturation 1 degree and licked up the contrast a notch to make the water pop out. see if this sits well with you...:cool:

SeanKP
11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jackie.

Ah yes, head angle. I took several shots of this duck in this light and I did check them all to see if there was a more traditional head angle but they were all like this. In retrospect though I personally quite like it. I think it adds a feeling of wistfulness to the shot. LOL, but, of course, the HAP may not agree.

Cheers.

Sean

denise ippolito
11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Sean, I like it as presented w/ a slight crop-HA- not the best -{but I feel not every shot do you as the photographer have to be inc.}

Nonda Surratt
11-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Love that water and the duck! Granted HA could be maybe a bit better, like it as is tho'.

Never met a duckie I didn't like.

Harold Davis
11-30-2008, 11:18 AM
i love your version for the same reasons you do sean! that water is art and the slightly darker corners highlight the bird nicely. that is a beautiful bird! you may not have a perfect HA, but there is definitely enough of a connection to do it for me.

Alfred Forns
11-30-2008, 11:29 AM
As presented would move the duck one body length to the corner The water does look special and works just fine.

The crop looks very good also, it depends the feel you want !!! Also for these images I don't think the head angle is as important at for others, this is all about feel and you certainly have it !!!

SeanKP
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Gus, I like what you have done. I think it makes it a better photograph of the bird. My version is more of a mood shot rather than a bird shot. Each has its place I guess.

Cheers.

Sean