PDA

View Full Version : Short Billed Dowitcher????

Jodee Novak
11-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

I made this image last April on Sunset Beach on Captiva Island. I'd love to have a little feedback on it...composition, exposure, etc. It as is from the camera - no post-processing (I am still afraid of PS, Alfred - but I did buy a Scott Kelby DVD and book so I can learn at my own pace). Also - did I ID this bird correctly?

Thanks for any and all input!

Alfred Forns
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
HI Jodee

No need to be afraid of PS !!! Your Kelby DVD will be helpful, just try learning one thing at a time then practice !!! For tweaking images you don't need much, all adjustments are simple and straight forward. I sort of like Arties digital basics. You sit and follow his steps one by one and after three or four images you will be doing all on your own.

Advance techniques you will pick up as you go along. The most important thing is to process lot of images.

I' confused with the bird since the had markings look different, non breeding birds do have that non distinct plumage.

For shore birds at the surf make several images since you are at the mercy of the waves. Bg will change with every wave, here you have a dark line behind the birds body detracting from the image. Do like the pose and head angle very much .. getting low sure helped !!! Oh might give the bird a little more room and post at max size for better evaluating !!!

Dan Brown
11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Jodee. Your exposure and sharpness are fine. I might like to see a little space on the left side of the frame and I would clone out the little white think on the right shore line. Also, I think that this bird is a breeding plumaged Willet.;)

Jackie Schuknecht
11-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Exp., pose, colours all look great. Would have left a bit more room at the bottom for the feet. If you have CS4 you could try adding some using content aware scaling. Good job!

Gus Cobos
11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Jodee,
I like the base composition, I would add just a tad more room on the top and at the bottom, to give more room to the feet. Very nice capture. :cool:

Harold Davis
11-30-2008, 11:27 AM
just dive right in to PS. you cant mess anything up!!! good luck and keep em coming!

Jodee Novak
12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments! I am going to take your advice, Harold, and "dive" into PS! I will start by learning to add space at the bottom of this image...whew...here goes...I will let you all know if I survive my first journey into the world of PS!!!!