PDA

View Full Version : Valley View In Fall

Ed Cordes
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
This is my take on the famous "Valley View" in Yosemite NP. Fall provides some nice colors, but the falls are lacking as evidenced by the barely visible Bridal Veil Falls in this image. However the late afternoon storm clouds and the Sun peaking in and out provided some nice warm lighting.

1DMK2 with 17-40 @ 20mm. Evaluative metering with ISO 400 f 16 and 1/200 on tripod in windy conditions due to storm. Image is full frame. I used a GND and polarizer. Post processing included levels, curves, burning the clouds in a separate layer and sharpening.

I can tell you honestly that the compressed jpeg does not look nearly as good as the 13 X 19 print I just made.

Thanks for looking. Your comments and input are greatly appreciated.

Chris Starbuck
11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Ed,
Great job on this! Beautiful soft, warm light. Well composed - I like the anchoring grass tufts at LL. I'll bet the detail in your print is just mouth-watering.

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
This works great Ed. As mentioned, the grass in the FG left are a nice inclusion. Nice use of layers to add depth to the image from the water, to the grassy valley to the tree line and then onto the cliffs. Nice going. Great light, subtle and soft really makes this image.

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Ed,
looks really good on this end.............I'm sure the print really pops. As mentioned above.........the anchor of the FG grasses is excellent.........w/o them.......the comp wouldn't be nearly as strong balance wise.......so very well thought out. Nice job of bringing out hte textures in the clouds also!

Sabyasachi Patra
11-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Ed,
I agree with the previous posts that the foreground grass adds to the image. Lot of dof and the composition leads the eyes in. Nice image. The true impact of these kind of images are through huge prints.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi