PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with Flash

Jackie Schuknecht
11-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Took this yesterday, think it was raining at this point.
Trying to work with flash and was wondering how it looked flash-wise. More needed?
I know the shutter speed is really low, but not much ambient light around, this was taken around 2pm

40D
f5.6
ISO 800
1/250s
100-400mm @300
BB set to ETTL @-2
Tripod.
+1 1/3 EV
Cropped a little form the left
Comments appreciated, thanks.

Harold Davis
11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
your shutter speed was just about perfect for using the flash!! it syncs at either 1/250 or 1/320? to me the whites look perfect and not flashed at all which is what you are looking for! so very nice job with it!!! i like the composition. beautiful subject! personally wouldnt change a thing!!

Cheryl Flory
11-29-2008, 04:47 PM
lovely image, Jackie! I really like the whites, cropping, eye contact, feather detail, etc. Just wish for a bit of contrast or somthing to add some sparkle or highlight to the eye. Lovely swan image.

Dave Leroy
11-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Looks very nice. The exposure looks to be spot on. I especially like how you have captured the bird's head slightly toward you.

Dave

Jackie Schuknecht
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. Cheryl you had me worried that the flash didn't really go off because there is no highlight in the eye which for flash seems quite odd to me. But it did go off and I don't really know how to make a good highlight so I'll leave it. Must say though how much better a histogram looks with some fill flash! Using the Delkin rechargeables from the BAA site, and they actually hold a charge unlike other ones I've used!!

Cheryl Flory
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Jackie, I think I can see a very faint highlight in the eye. You did have the flash set at -2. so a soft flash won't make a bright highlight. Lovely lighting on the white feathers, and still kept the slight blue background. A wonderful "wintery" feel to the image.

denise ippolito
11-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Jackie, Real nice job w/ the whites!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks Cheryl, I didn't know that. I am just starting to learn to use the flash. Very helpful info!!! Hope you are making some headway with your own techniques for your next raptor shoot!

Gus Cobos
11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Lady Jackie,
I like it as presented. The whites are in check, you have sharp details and good color rendition.. The eye looks fine to me. There is the old saying that goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...:D well done...:cool:

Alfred Forns
11-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Jackie

Image looks good Whites have detail and a good feel !! Remember for the flash you can bracket by doing two consecutive exposures, the first you will have your setting but the second being weaker would be like compensating. If you want to see what it looks like with no flash just do a third, the capacitor will not have time to charge. Best way to know your flash is comparing this way !!!

Gail Spitler
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Very, very nice.
Gail