PDA

View Full Version : Late spider orchid (Ophrys holoserica)

Karl Günter Wünsch
11-28-2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/naturescapes/20080610-goennersdorf-holoserica-0199_bp.jpg
For us on the northern half of our world it's mostly a dreary time in which we spend many hours looking at the images taken earlier this year, so here is one from the archives...
The late spider orchid is a rare orchid for Germany, currently it is deemed not to exist in NRW (the county where I live) but just south of the border there is a nature reserve near the small town of Gönnersdorf where in June there were 150 flowering plants...
Canon 40D, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 @ f/11, 1/25th, Bilora ring flash (hand held from the side as fill flash -1EV), Berlebach mini tripod, slight crop (< 10%).

Kaushik Balakumar
11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
A beautiful exotic looking flower Karl. Might wish for some more space near the bottom of the frame. If I may add, some other angles like placing the 2 flowers across the diagonal, etc., might result in some interesting compositions too.
Was this image made in Eifel park ?

Karl Günter Wünsch
11-28-2008, 06:26 PM
A beautiful exotic looking flower Karl. Might wish for some more space near the bottom of the frame. If I may add, some other angles like placing the 2 flowers across the diagonal, etc., might result in some interesting compositions too.
Was this image made in Eifel park ?
It was either this tight in terms of placing the second flower at the absolute bottom of the frame or including the petals of a third flower which was well beyond it's best day.
Gönnersdorf is a small town near Dahlem in the Eifel area. I don't think it belongs to the nature park you were referring to...
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Julie Kenward
11-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I agree with Kaushik...it does need a bit more room at the bottom but if the flower wasn't cooperating then your only hope is to add a bit of canvas in PS. I like that you used the ring light as a fill light - I think you got a more interesting photo because of it. Your details are good (although more in the back petals wouldn't have hurt) and the BG is really nice.

Mike Moats
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Karl, nice comp and agree it would be nice with a tad more room on the bottom. Good details, color, and light. Very nice looking BG.