PDA

View Full Version : Wild yellow

Kaushik Balakumar
11-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Flowers from a bouquet are usually neatly arranged with their petals in an uniform orderly manner. They look very aesthetic. Unlike the well arranged flowers, this particular individual was shot in wild during a hike in the mountains sometime back in August. This is surely not an exotic species but these flowers were looking so fresh & full of life - raw & wild.
Chose to look for a back-lit angle.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/106448955/original.jpg

Never thought of posting it initially because I thought, the BG was not so 'clean'. But then on second thoughts I liked the OOF grass blades & some spots of OOF reflections in the frame.
Not sure if this works for you.
Would like to know your views...

Techs:
Nikon D70s + Nikkor 105mm VR micro;
1/400s f/6.3 ISO200

Julie Kenward
11-28-2008, 02:38 PM
The flower is phenomenal. You're right - it is raw and wild and the lighting and angle really bring that out.

As for the BG, I don't mind the stems on the right of the flower as there is enough of them there to help my mind "know" what I am looking at. The two extremely OOF ones on the left I'd clone out or soften/blur as those I find distracting.

Does that help?

Jerry van Dijk
11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi Kaushik, excellent choice to go for the backlight. It really makes this image something special. Agree with Julie regarding the two grass blades on the left. I think a completely 'clean' BG would make the image somewhat boring. Nice work!
- Jerry -

Kaushik Balakumar
11-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Thank you Julie & Jerry. Your feedback is much helpful.
:)

Mike Moats
12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Kaushik, I like the image as presented and don't really mind the distraction of the grass, I really like the backlighting on the flower.