PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Morning

Mark Schack
11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
So it's taken me close to 2 months to get a second photo good enough to post here but the things I have learned since my first is tremendous ... thank you BPN.

One of the things I did was give up on the autofocus feature of my new lens and just go manual, is that what you all do?

I got this fellow (wish here were a more mature specimen) on Thanksgiving morning. I know the HA isn't perfect but he just wouldn't cooperate, IMHO it's the bird house that makes the shot. What do you think?

I used Nikon's "Picture Project" to lighten, sharpen and crop. Maybe I croped too much?

Nikon D40, Sigma VR 150-500mm, F/6.3, 1/1250 sec, , ISO 400, 500mm, AP

Jackie Schuknecht
11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Mark,
I like the feel of this pic and the way you have it framed. I think it has a lot of character. I might sharpen the bird only especially the eye. Well done!

denise ippolito
11-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Mark, Your shot looks nice-Like your composition-only wish he was looking at you.Great capture w/ the house-colors are pleasing! Your BG is gorgeous

Gus Cobos
11-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Mark,
I like the composition, the bird's head angle is off by a tad. You have sharp details, but I find the overall image a bit too saturated. Back down on the red channel just slightly...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Desmond Chan
11-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I like the feel of this photo. The colors go very well with each other. I would be tempted to crop a bit more off the right.

Alfred Forns
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Mark You did come up with a good one !!!

Agree with comments and can add just the head angle !!!!

AF wise I'm not sure why you had to got to manual? Your AF should have taken care with no trouble. For this one you needed one of two ways, move the sensor so its on the bird's eye or use the lock feature so you focus on the eye than re compose. Either will work fine. Not a good idea to focus on the center then crop ... image will suffer.

If you do have to go to manual due to low contras difficulties there is one thing you can do. Turn the beep on so you hear when the image is in focus. Focus and go beyond then come back slowly and release the shutter when it beeps !!! Works well !! Looking forward to the next one !!

Lance Peters
11-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi Mark - all good advice given by the maestro's above. Nice composition and light.
looking forward to seeing more :)

Mark Schack
11-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Thank you for all of your nice comments and suggestions!