PDA

View Full Version : BCNH - Habitat Image

Ed Vatza
11-28-2008, 07:13 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/071-Edit.jpg

I don't know if it qualifies as a rookery but there is a very small island in one of the North Shore (NJ) lakes that serves as home to 20-30 or more mostly Black-crowned Night Herons. At any given time that we have been there, we have seen many of these herons hidden in the brush. These two were a little farther up in the bushes and were a little more exposed. I liked the pairing of the adult and the 1st year juvenile (note the yellow eye).

Canon 50D; 300 2.8 w/2x TC; Tripod-mounted.

1/500 sec @ f/10; ISO 400; 0 EV; Sunny WB; Focal length 600mm (960mm Effective FL)

Paul Wolf
11-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Ed:
Excellent capture! I have tried and tried to get good habitat shots, and for some reason, I find that extremely difficult to do. This is an example of how to do it. You might try burning some of the brighter areas, especially around the juvenile. It will bring out the bird, and even make the foliage look a little less flat, I think. The juvie might even benefit from a little burning, as well, especially its leg, which is way bright. P.S. I'm into burning and dodging, lately.

Paul

Stu Bowie
11-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Great enviromental image Ed, and both herons are well exposed. I feel the shrubs look fine as is. Well spotted and captured.