11-28-2008, 06:44 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_1375-Edit.jpg

Technical: Canon 20D, Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mk1, ISO 100, f/9, 1/320, 0 EV, hanheld

C&C Welcome

Thanks for looking

Robert Amoruso
11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Tom,

Great clouds and some interesting peaks in the distance. I like the light to dark transition in the FG and Middle Ground pasts of the image but recommend a Shadow/Highlight adjustment to open up the shadows more.

I like the tall peak in the Bg but feel that its placement in either the left or right of the frame (closer to RoT) would make the image more dynamic.

Roman Kurywczak
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Tom,
I do think the right side would benefit from a bit of lightening in the shadow areas. I do think that Robert's point of placing the mountain closer to the ROT position would benefit the comp more than what i am going to suggest...........and just as an alternative...........I would try a crop off the bottom......putting the road in the lower left side........this does strenghten the comp a bit......and doesn't take that much from your original comp.

Tom Dolezal
11-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Tom,

Great clouds and some interesting peaks in the distance. I like the light to dark transition in the FG and Middle Ground pasts of the image but recommend a Shadow/Highlight adjustment to open up the shadows more.

I like the tall peak in the Bg but feel that its placement in either the left or right of the frame (closer to RoT) would make the image more dynamic.

Many thanks Robert for your valued input which is very much appreciated.

Would this edit be more what you suggest:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_1375-Edit-2.jpg

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi Tom,
I do think the right side would benefit from a bit of lightening in the shadow areas. I do think that Robert's point of placing the mountain closer to the ROT position would benefit the comp more than what i am going to suggest...........and just as an alternative...........I would try a crop off the bottom......putting the road in the lower left side........this does strenghten the comp a bit......and doesn't take that much from your original comp.

Many thanks Roman for your comments and suggestions which are very much appreciated and valued.

I did a re-edit based on this suggestion - is this what you had in mind?

Tom

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_1375-Edit-1.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Tom,
While the crop you re-posted was what I was recommending..........it left me wanting more.........so I cropped off the left also. This did 2 things........it moved the distant mountain more off center and it eliminated most of the edge protrusions.....but I did have to use the healing brush on a few of the LR edge rocks. I also felt that you could open the shadows a bit more.........so I used Robert's screen blending mode......which is in the educational forums; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434. I used a 50% opacity.....but can be adjusted to taste. I also toned down the ridgeline brightness with the burn tool.......just to minimize the lightening I did. Let me know your thoughts on the crop and lightening.

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Tom,

I go with the first crop and like Roman's repost work too. Thanks guys.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Beautiful image Tom. Of the lot, I liked the re-post made by Roman.
Personal taste I guess :)

Tom Dolezal
11-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Tom,
While the crop you re-posted was what I was recommending..........it left me wanting more.........so I cropped off the left also. This did 2 things........it moved the distant mountain more off center and it eliminated most of the edge protrusions.....but I did have to use the healing brush on a few of the LR edge rocks. I also felt that you could open the shadows a bit more.........so I used Robert's screen blending mode......which is in the educational forums; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434. I used a 50% opacity.....but can be adjusted to taste. I also toned down the ridgeline brightness with the burn tool.......just to minimize the lightening I did. Let me know your thoughts on the crop and lightening.

Hi Roman

Thanks for your edit and explanation. For me the RH lightening works fine, but not keen on the LH crop as I think the images main cloud scene is in that area.

I think its an image which can be cropped several ways and its just down to personal taste

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey Tom,

I go with the first crop and like Roman's repost work too. Thanks guys.

Thanks for your guidance Robert

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Beautiful image Tom. Of the lot, I liked the re-post made by Roman.
Personal taste I guess :)

Many thanks Kaushik for your valued comments which are very much appreciated.

Personal taste gives us variety ;)

Tom