PDA

View Full Version : Motif, Harlequin

Stephen Cunliffe
11-27-2008, 10:47 PM
OK, I know the head angle is far from perfect, but I do like the water...

Alfred Forns
11-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi Stephen

I do like the water also but a couple of enhancements would have complemented in a big way. One is the head angle you mentioned but another just as important is the sun angle. The back side of the duck is in shadows and dark while the front fully lit, does give a strange look. Try having the sun directly behind you and the bird will be evenly illuminated.

Framing wise its tight. You want room between the tail and edge of frame, just a little but did well having more up front. Overall would have more room all around. Exposure wise there is not much detail in the whites but those ducks are difficult and will need ideal light.

... one more !!! Point of focus is on the wing, look closely and you will see its the sharpest point leaving the eye on the soft side !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi Stephen,
Include your specs so we know what you've done!!! I like the angle including the water, the HA police will be after you! Nice colours on your bird, but some extra frame for the tail would have been nice. Looking forward to more!

Gus Cobos
11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Stephen
Very good advise given by Mr. Forns. and agree with Lady Jackie in reference to the tech. data. My suggestion, the way I see it; is the next time around, stop down on the aperture setting so you can get an extended depth of field zone, In other words, your water in the background toward the top of the frame is out of focus. With such beautiful tones and hues of blues; a properly sharp composition all the way around would have made your capture more powerful. You had the harsh sun light but did not take advantage of it...:cool:

Lance Peters
11-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi Stephen - Your image is only 63KB - do try and post at maximum size 200k will give everyone a better look at your image.

agree with all of the advice above - Soft Light is the key, also a lower angle would have been nice - of course i realise this may not have been possible.

Looking forward to more :)