PDA

View Full Version : Glaucous Gull in Flight

Kirk Zufelt
11-27-2008, 09:10 PM
This juvenile plumaged Glaucous Gull was photographed at the local landfill here in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario were it is a regular late fall- early winter visitor with a few overwintering. Comments welcomed

Nikon D3
300mm/2.8 VR lens
f4.5 @ 1/2500
ISO 200

Alfred Forns
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Lovely image Kirk I like the wing position bg and exposure. I see some sensor dust spots, might want to get a lens pen and get rid of them.

Framing wise would like more room particularly up top, wing is awfully close to the edge, easy to extend canvas. Would also select the head sharpen a tad more !!! Excellent image !!!

John Chardine
11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Agree with Alfred. Very nice. I like the white against the blue very much. I think the image is suffering from extreme jpeg compression. I can see lots of jpeg anomalies around edges of the bird. If you reprocess to come in close to BPN limit of 200k rather than 29k (!) I think the image will be improved. Resample and sharpen and repost. Would like to see the result.

Kirk Zufelt
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I have done some resharpening to the best of my meager abilities. Unfortunately the original has the wing coming up right to the edge so I can't really extend the crop. I know its possible to add more sky but I am not their yet with my photo processing. I am working on it. Thanks for the comments.
Kirk

Kirk Zufelt
11-29-2008, 11:55 PM
The file I uploaded was 198kb I am not sure how it morphed to 32kb when posted?
Kirk