PDA

View Full Version : Ross's Goose

Michael Lloyd
11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
This isn't a "typical" Bosque image but since I had never seen (at least not that I'm aware of) a Ross's Goose I took a shot or two of this one slumming with the Snows up at the Farm Loop.

EOS 1DsMKIII
600mm f4L IS

1/2000s
f8
ISO 400

Paul Lagasi
11-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Michael..these are tough birds to identify when they're flying with Snow Geese, I've only ever seen one in East, we get at least one a year but they're tough to find, like looking for a needle in a haystack. We recently had 18,000 Snow Geese land in fields East of Ottawa. Luckily I spotted this one in a more managable group of 50 or so. I am including a photo (not the greatest but the only one I have) which show why they're so difficult to spot at a distance (if I hadn't known it was there, I would have thought it was a Snow Goose at diffeent distance than others)...up close its easy to see size difference.

You have a good image of a Ross's Goose..which shows the difference between Snow's...head very white (Snow is rustier), head rounded, stubby bill. Although I've never seen one a dark morph Ross's Goose does exist...