PDA

View Full Version : Blue Nuthatch...

Rosl Roessner
11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi, as I wrote in my thread in the general photography froum, this is the color my Mark III creates, when I use automatic white balance. :confused:
In this special image I like the blue touch, because it fits to the color of the European Nuthatch, but generally it feels too cold to me. Yes, it was an early morning, but the color is a tad too blue, don't you think so?
You can have a look at my Nuthatch image from yesterday, which was created just an hour or less later and light did not change that much. In the other image I set the WB to cloudy, but this is a bit too warm, I think.:confused: So I am struggling between those two settings all the time.

BTW, I like the perch, what do you think? :cool:

Alexander Koenders
11-27-2008, 05:48 PM
The colors are not well like this. can't you put youre white balance around the 5500 calvin manualy? You have to get more color, otherwise the creasted tit wil get cold olso:)

Daniel Cadieux
11-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Rosl, yes you are right I also think this one could use a boost in colour temp. I took a peek at your previous image and I think it looks good there (not too warm, at least for that one). When photographing in RAW it is very easy to adjust the WB...you do use RAW?

The perch looks great, I only wish the light was coming from behind you - this would negate the shadows (you could also use some flash in a case like this (P.S. flash adds warmth to the images...at least it does with my 40D)

Tony Whitehead
11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree with Dan that RAW is the way to go. I leave WB on auto and adjust the colour temp in RAW conversion. I often find the auto option is good but not always. For this image I agree a slightly warmer temp would be nice. That perch is just amazing. Lichens look identical to species we have here in NZ.

Phil Bayley
11-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Not sure about this color, but ran it through Lightroom 2 fast and sharpened in Photoshop, comments?

Rosl Roessner
11-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Thank you for commenting the image.
I wrote it in the thread, that I do use RAW and of course I can adjust the WB afterwards, but I think the automatic should do a better job? That is always the look, when I shoot in automatic, so I use "Cloudy" mos of the time; but that does look a bit to warm if the sun is shining....

Alexander, I will try it your way. It would be a shame if the Crested Tit would look like a Blue Tit ;)

Phil,
this does look much better! Thank you for working with my image!