PDA

View Full Version : Star Trails at White Dome #2

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all!
This was taken on my recent tour to Yellowstone. I was going through my files before cooking....and decided to work on this one. Conditions weren't ideal........as there were clouds/fog moving in.......but decided to keep the camera open. The light area on the LL........are car headlights illuminating some of the fog. Even though the trails aren't as vivid as in my earlier trail post (film) .http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3768
and the light source used to illuminate it was much different.......this one had a pretty cool feel to it. This version required much more PP than that earlier image also.......but I finally got it to where I liked it.
Specs........Canon Mark 3 at ISO 400 with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm and f4.5 for just under 40 minutes. Eruption illuminated for about 1 minute with a headlamp.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Very beautifully executed Roman. Nice to have illuminated the eruption.
Wondering if it would be interesting frame, if u recompose by shifting your camera towards your left, thereby bringing the eruption to the right line-of-thirds. I'm saying this because there seems to be some interesting light near the far off horizon & also because the geyser eruption is tending to move towards left.
Just an alternate thought.

Robert Amoruso
11-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I like the star trails in this one Roman.

denise ippolito
11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Roman, This is one cool image! Great color tones and I love the star trails

Jackie Schuknecht
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
This is cool Roman, wow a 40 minute exposure. Neat to see how the earth is rotating leaving the star trails!

Dave Mills
11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Another unique, technical and interesting image

Chris Ober
11-28-2008, 07:13 PM
This is pretty cool! Thar she blows! :)

Roger Clark
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Roman,
Superb image! I would boost the contrast a little.

Roger

Rocky Sharwell
12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Roman:

I really like this--I think the fog and clouds near the bottom helps the image. I thought about star trails when I was in NM--Now I want to try them.