PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Thistle

Julie Kenward
11-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I got out early this morning knowing I had to hit the road for my brother's house by noon. The nearby lake had a bit of frost and some beautiful lighting so I walked the park's perimeter when I found some thistle, nearly spent, ready to call it a day.

Canon 40D, 70-200mm f4L
f4 @ 1/800, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering
Handheld, natural early morning light, sunny wb
Processed in ACR & CS4 with small crop, levels and contrast adjustments and a wee bit of cloning

Chris Starbuck
11-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Jules,
I like thistles, and I like (well done) images of flowers gone to seed. This works for me in both those categories. Happy Thanksgiving!

denise ippolito
11-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Jules, Really nice thistle shot I like the BG- it's a perfect compliment The head is bent just right! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Julie Kenward
11-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks Ladies and happy thanksgiving to you, too! Be sure to check out the Thanksgiving Day turkey thread up in the "Friends and Family" forum.

Jerry van Dijk
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi Julie, nice find! These thistle heads provide lots of interesting details. The morning light is great! Some nits to pick: would have liked a little more DOF (the top 'hairs' seem a little oof), there is a greyish halo around the stem at the bottom (result of cloning?). I think a more contrasting BG would make an even more interesting image.
- Jerry -

Dave Mills
11-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Nice image ! I would crop a bit off the bottom in order to make the seed head more dominant

Julie Kenward
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Jerry, yes there was a really ugly leaf there and I cloned it out. I tried twice to blend the BG to the stem but I think Dmills has my answer...chop the bottom off and be done with it!

Thanks everyone for your help with this one. I still can't get over what beautiful light I caught on Thanksgiving morning!

Mike Moats
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Jules, a nice interesting subject of textures. I like the tones of color. Good BG.