PDA

View Full Version : What It Is

Julie Kenward
11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
It feels like I have held this camera in my hands since the day that I was born and, yet, it hasn't even been a single year. It has truly opened my eyes to life, forever opened my heart to the world, and has grown me in ways I never thought I'd live to see.

It allows me the distinct pleasure of striving for perfection and then constantly reminds me that I must face up to my failure. It allows me to express who it is that I am when even I don't know for sure who that woman is. It forces me to go where I wouldn't have gone alone, to see what I surely would have missed, and to photograph what I never before knew was there.

It has given me an outlet for expression, a basis for my ministry, and a glimpse into how people and the world around me work. I credit it with allowing me a grownup's second chance at a childlike naivete to reach out and dream so big that all limits are shattered and all rules are forgotten.

It is my muse, my paintbrush, my heartbeat, and my song.

It is my camera.

Lance Warley
11-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Intense. Personal. Powerful. Brutally honest.

And oh, did I mention, very well written.

Excellent, Jules. You're a heavy hitter.

Julie Kenward
11-28-2008, 11:16 AM
After yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner I'm heavy in more ways than one, Lance! Thanks for the critique. I'm finding that 'three time's the charm' on editing my work down to the essentials. Being able to post here is really helping me hone that skill.

Lance Warley
11-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Yea. It's the same for me. 100% iterative. Write something, prune it, leave it alone for a while, prune it some more, leave it alone for another while, prune it some more.

The vast majority of my writing is technical, for my day job, but the process is identical, whether the content is technical or creative. Multiple reps.

I don't want to glorify it, but it's almost like sculpting clay. Start with a big hunk, then whittle it away until the only thing that remains is what we want.

Less is more. Of course, we don't get paid by the word, either.

David Thomasson
11-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Beautifully expressed, gracefully written.

I would probably make one small change: Break the first sentence into two:

It feels like I have held this camera in my hands since the day [that] I was born. And yet, it hasn't even been a single year.

Now I see that I made two small changes. I also took out "that." Since this is about writing, I'll explain why. Years ago, an old pro taught me to pay closer attention to the rhythm of sentences. Scan them, he told me, just as you scan a line of poetry. Feel the rhythm of your writing and make it work in places where rhythm counts.

So ... in the first sentence, I'm hearing this anapestic meter: in my hands since the day [that] I was born. I removed "that" to preserve the meter.

Julie Kenward
11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Good suggestion, Dave. I see what you mean. This is why I post here...you all keep me on my toes!

Lance Warley
11-29-2008, 11:36 AM
That's a great suggestion, David.

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey Jules,
Still lurking here......very well written and expressed. You captured the way I also feel about photography extremely well. I will also tell you that I have watched your photography grow in that year.......and what I particularily like about your style.......you try......aren't afraid to fail. I think that those type of people aren't rewarded nearly enough.....and it ain't much......but I have noticed how you've grown as a photographer........so you go girl! .....and keep up that great spirit!