PDA

View Full Version : Bisti Silhouette

Rocky Sharwell
11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Cropped a bit off the left--more from the bottom. I am wavering on whether I liked the image with more black space on the bottom.

Taken on the long walk back to the car after shooting at the cracked egg garden. I just had to stop to photograph this even though it was getting really cold. Taken with the MKIIn , 70-200F4+1.4tc. I wanted a bit more lens--I thought about putting the 2x on but I was coled and wnated to get back to the car. It was also really dark and I didn't want to drop anything and then have to look for it by headlamp

Cropped a bit off the left--more from the bottom. I am wavering on whether I liked the image with more black space on the bottom.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated....

Dan Brown
11-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Rocky. I like the idea here. In my repost of your image, I cropped to a pano, eliminating the cloud in the upper left that was distracting me. I also cleaned up a ton of sensor dust with photoshops spot healing brush, (think about cleaning your sensor!!) then I saturated your oranges a bit and finally, sharpened and reduced noise in the image using Intellisharpen II, a PS plugin. Oh, and you can post at much higher file sizes than your 18kb, so my repost is much larger (100kb?).

Robert Amoruso
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
It is a nice silhouette Rocky and great color in the sky - good thing you stop. Dan did a nice repost and caught my suggestion to a "T". With silhouettes I generally prefer them nice and sharp. Did you use a tripod or was it handheld? Next time post your exposure info as that helps us in our critiquing.

Artie would bust your chops supremely if he saw that much sensor dust.;)

Thanks for posting and hope to see more.

Rocky Sharwell
11-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Dan,

I like your repost better than mine---I will confess that I completely forgot about dust spotting. I am relaxing in Park City wit family and I guess I am too relaxed. I tried to keep the sensor clean when i was in NM but I can see how I failed. I was using Sensor Swabs + eclipse--Somehow my lens pen did not make it to NM.

I see how my file size is way small--I am obviously doing something wrong in LR....

Robert:

I used a tripod--but the camera was attached to the tripod as opposed to the lens foot. I think that might account for the lack of sharpness. I was also really rushing so I might not have tightened things down well.

Robert Amoruso
11-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Dan,

I like your repost better than mine---I will confess that I completely forgot about dust spotting. I am relaxing in Park City wit family and I guess I am too relaxed. I tried to keep the sensor clean when i was in NM but I can see how I failed. I was using Sensor Swabs + eclipse--Somehow my lens pen did not make it to NM.

I see how my file size is way small--I am obviously doing something wrong in LR....

Robert:

I used a tripod--but the camera was attached to the tripod as opposed to the lens foot. I think that might account for the lack of sharpness. I was also really rushing so I might not have tightened things down well.

Thanks Rocky. Yeah you might have gotten a bit of camera shake. that has caught me more then a few times. Have a good holiday.

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Rocky,
I think Dan did a nice job with the re-post. Sensor dust is a big pain..........but Dan also did a nice job of getting rid of it in the re-post. Have a Happy Thanksgiving in Park City.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Personally I liked the original composition. By increasing the saturation the original might look better with blue tones (near top of the frame) getting some more prominence. The silhouettes don't looks so sharp; camera shake (as Robert pointed out too) ... ?
I liked the shapes of structures in the silhouette - looks like some animals have all lined up for a meeting in late evening !

Rocky Sharwell
12-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks all for the comments--Now that I am home I am looking forward to processing some images and seeing what else I have. This trip greatly increased my respect for rock photographers. I also want to go back right now......