PDA

View Full Version : White morph Reddish Egret Landing

Bruce Enns
11-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I finally got a chance to give the photography muscles a workout on a short trip to central / south Florida. This white morph Reddish Egret was very active at Ft. DeSoto early in the morning on November 18th. This was about the sixth image of the day and one of many taken of this entertaining and very beautiful bird.

This is not a full frame image and I do have room for a landscape crop...any opinions on which might be more effective?

Comments and critique are most welcome and appreciated!

handheld Canon 40D and 100-400 L IS at 320 mm and 1/1000 f/6.3 AV mode -0.33EV

Cheers!
Bruce

Alfred Forns
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
HI Bruce Glad you found the morph In a few months he will be in breeding plumage, spectacular bird.

I'm fine with the corp but just wish the wave was not back there, sort of competes with the bird. Great landing pose, feather detail and sharpness. Got a keeper in my book !!! I like it a lot !!

Cropping wise as presented would crop the upper dark area. If you have the room (don't know how much) a vertical would work well since it could take out most of the wave up top !!!

Ed Cordes
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
I like the uplifted wings and the raised leg. The pink color is interesting. I would consider a crop from the top down to the top of the upper wave.

Tony Whitehead
11-27-2008, 03:15 AM
I really like the pose here, Bruce. have to agree with Al regarding the wave. I would probably crop something like this.

Bruce Enns
11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks very much Al, Ed and Tony...it was originally a landscape shot, so I do have a fair bit of canvas to work with. I like your crop Tony, but may try a crop with a bit more space on both sides of the bird, or perhaps even a challenging O'Toole style quickmask to remove the wave.

Cheers!
Bruce

DarrenMcKenna
11-27-2008, 03:25 PM
sweet light and pose. I would crop half way from the top wave to the top of the image, but it's always a personal preference on how we present our images.