PDA

View Full Version : Viera Update

Michael Pancier
11-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Reports are that things looking good there. lots of cara cara action and the eagles have been seen building a new nest out there.

Even spoons have been spotted. So I'm heading out Friday out there for a day trip to see for myself ...

Judd Patterson
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Great news! Thanks for sharing Michael. I was considering a trip up there myself.

Alfred Forns
11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Have a great trip Mike !!! Check the click ponds !!!

Nancy A Elwood
11-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I will be out there tomorrow early. Harry is out there now, sitings of American bitterns, kingfishers and eagles!! OH MY!!!

Michael Pancier
11-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Got back from Viera a few hours ago. Did a morning go around and a late afternoon (did the zoo in between)

There were 2 juvi Bald Eagles which I missed, but several folks saw them this morning. The belted kingfishers were out and were popular with photographers. I even landed a few shots.

Loggerhead shrikes were out and about as well as hawks and osprey.

The cara cara are hit and miss; had more luck in the pm when the tall pine near the parking lot was sunlit. Two of them perched there a bit and sometimes one would fly to the canal bank west of the tree or the stumps in the lot. I managed a few shots. Not much duck action other than blue wing teals and a pair of ring necked ducks. Other than that, coots and moorhens. The American bittern was seen along the eastern lake bank. couldn't get a decent shot. There were several woodpeckers in nesting mode esp. on the bank leading up to the entrance (from the south)

No spoons.

Nancy A Elwood
11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I recently heard that Viera got a mosquito spray and killed most of the fish, so I am sure that is why it is slow:( compared to last year. They did that in August, so maybe things will get diluted and more life will return. How stupid can management be!!:eek::(

James McComas
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I was at Viera this past weekend and it was great. Lots of ducks, egrets, even a pair of Bald Eagles. Got some great shots of woodpeckers. Almost forgot, I saw a pair of otters, very playful and not at all afraid of people.

Michael Pancier
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I was at Viera this past weekend and it was great. Lots of ducks, egrets, even a pair of Bald Eagles. Got some great shots of woodpeckers. Almost forgot, I saw a pair of otters, very playful and not at all afraid of people.

did you see the juvi eagles? or the adults? what time?

there's that great woodpecker nest along the easternmost trail there ....